Friday, November 2, 2007

Playing Favorites

I have never been good at playing favorites - even as a child. I could never choose a favorite subject in school or a favorite color or even a favorite toy. In fact, I had an amazing amount of stuffed animals and rotated which ones I slept with so as to not make them feel bad (I also tend to anthropomorphize, but that's a whole other eggplant). It's not like I lack strong opinions, it's more than I don't tend to see things exclusively in black and white - there are just too many shades of gray. Everything just depends on the situation. I envy people who can unequivocally say, "This is my favorite pair of shoes." I have more than 50 pairs of shoes - how am I supposed to choose just one favorite pair? It's downright cruel, I tell you.

The one thing I tend to go back to consistently is my navy blue toenail polish. I have tons of nail polish, and I used to be great about always wearing polish (that was Before Children, anyway), but now it's just my toes and they're almost always navy blue. How did I end up with this particular quirk? A number of years ago I read a magazine article where Jamie Lee Curtis talked about wearing navy blue polish on her toenails and I thought I'd check it out. It's pretty much stuck. I did take some years off due to the fact that I sell cosmetics and my brand had nail polish, but no navy. Let's face it - it's pretty stupid to advertise someone else's product if you're trying to sell your own. My brand no longer has nail products, so I can once again justify wearing whatever I darn well please!

Some of my favorites:
Music - Springsteen, Del Amitri, Cake, Sarah MacLachlan (pre-Lilith Fair fare)
TV - House, Law & Order (SVU and CI), 80's TV (Magnum, Murder, She Wrote, Matlock, etc), Lois & Clark
Reading materials - Lucky magazine, murder mysteries, sarcastic chick lit
Foods - grilled cheese, french fries, chocolate cake, dark chocolate in just about any form, DIET COKE!
Movies - Casablanca, Love, Actually, A Room with a View, There's Something about Mary, Bond flicks
Stores - The Gap, DSW, Old Navy, Ikea, Target, Ann Taylor, Dayton's (but I'll survive with Macy's)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Navy blue nail polish - YES. I've never owned much navy clothing, but after I too became addicted to navy, I find myself seeking out navy dresses and shirts. Preferably with metallic thingys, too. Yay for navy nail polish and for others who can appreciate it! :)