Saturday, November 10, 2007

Body Image Nightmares

Access Hollywood has made November its Body Image Month and I'm starting to panic. I have two daughters, both of whom are beautiful and perfect in every way. However, they are very different - LooLoo is extremely petite at only 33.5lbs, while BooBoo is small but a bit closer to average at 32.5lbs (keep in mind that they are two years apart). I know what body image does to girls and women - I've suffered and tortured myself along with most of my gender. I've hated my body, lamented my curves, despised my height - you know the drill. And you know what? I wasn't much happier with my body when I weighed fifty pounds less than I do now. Sure, I wish parts were tighter than they are now and I would like substantially less adipose tissue than I have currently, but I've also been too thin in the past and wouldn't care to go back there (I get way too chinny and my butt looks proportionately even larger, but, see, there I go again). I guess all we can do is to try to be realistic about ourselves and others and teach our children to honor their bodies as they are. It's going to be a long road ahead, isn't it?

No comments: