Sunday, November 4, 2007

Messing with a Good Thing

I won tickets to the Twin Cities' Chocolate Extravaganza (shout out to the Kevyn Berger show on FM 107.1!) and took my mother-in-law (MIL from here on) today. We had a great time eating chocolate and other yummy treats, drinking wine and people watching. Everything was delicious until we got to the end. Unfortunately, the last thing we tried was a "healthy" chocolate bar. They made their chocolate with flaxseed oil. It was officially disgusting. I tried the dark chocolate truffle and my MIL had milk chocolate hazelnut. You could taste the flaxseed. it tasted like I image licking a cat's hind end fur would taste - acrid and completely wrong. Why would anyone do that to perfectly wonderful chocolate? Is it really such a crime to have food that just plain tastes good and has no redeeming nutritional value? It's kind of like the whole Diet Coke Plus concept (but at least that doesn't taste like cat butt) - Diet Coke isn't a health food. It's just not. Let's leave it at that and go on from there. Back to the nastiest chocolate on earth - what a terrible way to end a delicious afternoon. However, the chocolate coma I was already in probably tempered my taste buds enough (that must be why I didn't vomit). The moral of the story is: don't mess with a good thing. Chocolate is meant to be delicious, but not be a source of omega-three fatty acids. If you want omega-3s in your chocolate, add almonds.

No comments: