Thursday, October 18, 2007

Getting Started

I have a lot of clothes. I have a lot of shoes. I always end up wearing the same Mom uniform - jeans, long- or short-sleeved t-shirt and wedges or ballet flats, often with a layering piece since I'm usually cold. However, laziness comes into play most of the time and little thought or effort goes into my appearance. I occasionally mix it up with one of my two old lady track suits (as a friend so hilariously dubbed my velour hoodie/pants combos) or the odd skirt. I admit that I have gained some weight, so that is sometimes a mitigating factor in what I wear, but it's not like I don't have clothes that fit.

So, here's my proposal: I am going to see how long I can go without wearing the same outfit to work twice. There are, of course, rules: 1) the same top and bottom with a layering piece (like a cardigan, blazer or hoodie) and different accessories would qualify as a different outfit, but just wearing different shoes or changing jewelry wouldn't be sufficient 2) a dress would have to have a layering piece and different accessories to pass muster 3) I can't go out and buy something with the express purpose of making a new outfit, but I can purchase new clothes and shoes as I would normally. My intention is to dress more purposefully and, hopefully, wear more of the clothes in my wardrobe.

I work four evenings a week - at a very casual office where there is quite a bit of variety in what people wear. I tend to change right before work, as my girls regard me as the human napkin. I also tend to dress up a bit more when I have to train, so I do try to step it up a notch about 50% of the time I'm at work.

Here's the first week:
Monday: I can't remember - it was too long ago!
Tuesday: printed wrap dress, black tights, black boots, gold and coral lariat necklace, gold hoops
Wednesday: dark (Mossimo) jeans, white tank, navy & white striped hoodie, running shoes
Thursday: mid-rinse (Steve & Barry's) jeans, black tank, coral 3/4 sleeve tunic, silver hoops & bangles, mixed bead necklace, black with silver buckle d'Orsays

1 comment:

The Cheap Chick said...

When you least expect it, I'm totally going to steal your black and silver buckle shoes that Shawnie gave you and that you wore this week. Love Them!!

And I totally heart your blog, too. I think, as part of living Cheaply, we should all use what we've got and not spend more on what we don't need.

That being said, you MUST check out the new d'Orsey satin peep-toe pumps at Payless for $22.99. LOVE.